J&J Family of Companies [Janssen] Manager, Therapeutic Area Communication & Public Affairs, Japan in Chiyoda, Japan
Manager, Therapeutic Area Communication & Public Affairs, Janssen Japan
Job Title: Manager, Therapeutic Area Communication & Public Affairs, Janssen Japan
Date of Completion: September 2016
Supervisor’s Name/Title: Communication & Public Affairs Leader, Janssen Japan
Division/Department: Pharmaceuticals Communication & Public Affairs (C&PA)
Scope: National; three roles looking after four therapeutic areas
PURPOSE OF POSITION
· Drive business objectives of both Janssen Japan business and brands, as well as the J&J Enterprise, ensuring alignment of communication activities and efforts, particularly in relation to the Enterprise in Japan organization
· Build external and internal stakeholder trust and advocacy across the J&J Enterprise and the Janssen Japan business, spanning four therapeutic areas (Oncology, Immunology, Central Nervous System and Infectious Diseases) and 16 brands
RESPONSIBILITIES/PRINCIPAL DUTIES (Essential Functions)
Build external stakeholder trust/advocacy in alignment with global, regional and local strategies through developing and implementing strategic communication plans for four TAs including Oncology, Immunology, Central Nervous System and Infectious Diseases
· Develop strong partnerships with and serve as trusted advisor to Janssen Japan business partners across multiple businesses and brands.
· Contribute to the development of local and regional strategic communication plans and implement impactful local programs in consultation with regional TA C&PA leads, aligning with and advancing both business and C&PA goals and strategic priorities.
· Examples of responsibilities include developing press releases, media holding statements, media backgrounders, fact sheets, external and internal presentations, executive speeches, spokesperson briefing documents, corporate brochure copy, managing the Japan section of the global Janssen website; developing executive blog posts and other social media content; managing patient engagement and advocacy initiatives across our businesses; developing materials regarding J&J/Janssen for use with external partners; delivering policy-shaping and public affairs strategies, etc.
Develop relationships with key media, including social media influencers.
Operate as the strategic single point of content for key TA patient advocacy organizations, shaping and delivering sustained patient engagement strategies and programs that ensure a positive open dialogue with the patient community, with the patient voice imbedded in key TA decision making and enhancing our corporate reputation among this critical stakeholder group.
Proactively develop collaborative, internal and external relationships and alliances that support and align efficient execution of Enterprise/TA objectives through robust public affairs strategies.
Integrate knowledge from external and internal networks; multi-stakeholder insights; and understanding of business, competitive and industry priorities in the implementation of integrated and strategic communication plans that build, enhance, and reinforce the reputation of J&J/Janssen.
Help build relationships with and act as liaison to key third-party influencers and external constituencies.
Identify and apply key metrics to communication practices, and provide insights that drive confidence, integration and alignment. Develop close partnership with regional TA C&PA leads to effectively assess impact.
Partner closely and seamlessly with Enterprise and Innovation colleagues to tell one powerful Enterprise story.
Ensure plans leverage competitive advantage of a single-Enterprise set of strategic priorities, and actively encourage best practice sharing.
Manage agencies and budgets as assigned.
Heighten external stakeholder trust through effective management of issues
Proactively monitor and identify potential brand/franchise-related issues and develop issues-management strategies.
Manage product issues and other situations that may impact stakeholder trust and company reputation.
Partner closely with Janssen Communication, Japan Enterprise C&PA and regional C&PA leaders to ensure Enterprise alignment and help execute issue response strategies.
Develop messages that engage, inform and align stakeholders and serve as spokesperson for media inquiries.
Education and/or additional training: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism, marketing, liberal arts, science or business.
Experience and functional competencies:
· At least eight years of experience in communication or related field, preferably in a healthcare company, NGO, government agency or public relations agency
· Demonstrated ability to develop compelling stories, with superior Japanese and English written, oral and visual communication skills
· Experience building working relationships with key stakeholder groups, including national and local lay, professional/trade and social media, patient advocacy and industry associations and coalitions
· Ability to write and present clearly and persuasively in English
· Demonstrated analytic ability
· Deep understanding of digital and social platforms
· Excellent judgment
· Ability to maintain perspective and bring positive attitude and courage to partnership discussions
· Professional maturity and ability to work effectively across levels, functions, regions and backgrounds
· Ability to stay aligned with overall strategic direction while applying diligence and attention to detail in execution and reliably meeting deadlines
Required Leadership Competencies
· Live Our Credo – Models and integrates Our Credo principles into his/her work. Seeks opportunities to foster dialogue and to support a Diversity and Inclusion mindset and behaviors.
· Connect – Influences stakeholders by applying insights to understand and deliver critical business needs. Models collaboration and teamwork and leads with a One Team mindset and approach to reach the best outcomes.
· Shape – Proactively uses insights to create tailored and targeted change communication plans that inspire ownership, engagement, and mindset and behavior change.
· Lead - Leads with strategic intent by prioritizing, focusing and efficiently managing solutions that enhance the J&J reputation and brand.
· Deliver - Demonstrates broad knowledge of the business and competitive environment and can translate global business realities into human realities. Executes communication plans and deliverables against key business metrics.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job; it is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. This document is not a contract for employment.
DECISION-MAKING AND PROBLEM-SOLVING: Can clearly articulate the types of problems that need to be addressed, solved or referred. Can equally articulate decisions which are made, reviewed or referred. Understands and follows procedures, policies, standards and regulations that must be applied to decision-making and problem solving.
DEGREE OF INDEPENDENT JUDGMENT: Demonstrates an ability to judge when to seek guidance from more senior C&PA colleagues while also executing independently, efficiently and effectively.
Janssen Pharmaceutical K.K. (7195)