BlackRock BlackRock - Investment Stewardship (BIS) Tokyo, Vice President in Tokyo, Japan
BlackRock is a global leader in investment management, risk management and advisory services for institutional and retail clients. At March 31, 2016, BlackRock’s AUM was $4.737 trillion. BlackRock helps clients around the world meet their goals and overcome challenges with a range of products that include separate accounts, mutual funds, iShares® (exchange-traded funds), and other pooled investment vehicles. BlackRock also offers risk management, advisory and enterprise investment system services to a broad base of institutional investors through BlackRock Solutions®. As of March 31, 2016, the firm had approximately 13,000 employees in more than 30 countries and a major presence in global markets, including North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East and Africa. For additional information, please visit the Company’s website atwww.blackrock.com| Twitter: @blackrock_news | Blog:www.blackrockblog.com| LinkedIn:www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
As an independent, fiduciary asset manager, BlackRock is committed to acting at all times in the best long-term interests of our clients. We undertake our BIS activities to protect and enhance the economic value of the companies in which we invest on their behalf.
The work of BlackRock’s BIS team is an investment function. The team operates in six offices across three regions – the Americas (New York and San Francisco); Europe, Middle East and Africa (London); and Asia-Pacific (Tokyo, Hong Kong and Sydney) – and undertakes engagement with and proxy voting at portfolio companies on behalf of clients globally.
BlackRock aims to take a common view in-house regarding our engagement and voting policies and uses the BIS group to coordinate, communicate and carry out these policies across the 95 markets and approximately 15,000 shareholder meetings at which the firm votes each year.
The Vice President – BIS will work for the BIS APAC-Japan team based in Tokyo. The role reports to the Head of BIS Japan. The intention is for the person in this role to specialise in a number of industry sectors in Japan, as well as in a subset of the policy issues covered by the team; to lead particularly complex or sensitive engagement and voting; and facilitate the overall development of team capabilities.
- Contribute to the team’s core duty of proxy voting and company engagement
- Monitor the various corporate governance standards and best practices in the region and contribute to internal guidelines refreshment
- Engage with Institutional Client Business to ensure BIS reports, commentaries and RFPs are submitted on time and to an appropriate standard Support operational day to day needs and longer term projects as part of the broader Global BIS team
- Contribute to ESG integration and research for Fundamental Equity Team
The tasks involved in fulfilling these responsibilities include:
- Analysing meeting agendas and related materials in order to vote in the manner most consistent with BlackRock’s corporate governance policies
- Engaging with fundamental portfolio managers to get their input into our engagements, including proxy voting, and risk analysis
- Supporting the integration of ESG considerations into the investment process, as applicable
- Engaging with members of the APAC BIS advisory committee to contribute to their understanding of and support for the work of the BIS team
- Keeping up to date on policy developments in specific sectors and markets to ensure BlackRock’s principles and guidelines remain relevant
- Contributing to reports for and/or engaging with internal and external parties on BlackRock’s corporate governance policies and activities
- Working with BlackRock’s client-facing group and with clients directly to ensure client reporting and client presentations meet expectations, and that client queries on corporate governance are responded to promptly and to the satisfaction of the client
- Contributing to and/or leading engagement with policymakers on corporate governance policy and ESG matters, including through dialogue and/or public comment letters
- Conducting research on ESG topics and related matters
- Engaging with research providers and other external contributors to the BIS team’s activities to ensure they meet our needs, particularly as our needs evolve
- Contributing to the continual review of the BIS team’s output and working practices to ensure risks are minimised and performance optimised
- Participating in the monitoring of proxy voting workflow, to ensure all accounts are voted as intended and in line with the appropriate guidelines
- Ensuring client accounts are set up appropriately
- Participate in client on-board process where necessary
The person in this role will be/will have:
- An undergraduate with a degree in finance, economics, accounting or related discipline
- Corporate governance, investment experience, an advantage, but not a must.
- An understanding of and interest in environmental, social and governance issues as long-term investment considerations
- The ability to build and maintain successful relationships with colleagues across the firm and with external parties
- The ability to analyse and resolve complex problems under time pressure
- Details focused and persistent to see things through to completion whilst managing multiple tasks and changing priorities
- Organized, self-reliant and self-motivated
- The ability to communicate clearly and persuasively in writing and orally, including with senior colleagues and investee company representatives
- Fluency in Japanese and English
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer—M/F/D/V.
Job Function: Advisory
Organization: CPO-BLK Investment Stewardship
Title: BlackRock - Investment Stewardship (BIS) Tokyo, Vice President
Primary Location: Asia Pacific-Japan-Tokyo
Requisition ID: 162217
Job Posting: Nov 12, 2016, 12:00:00 AM