Microsoft Corporation Startup & Student Marketing Group Lead in Tokyo, Japan
The DX Developer Audience Evangelism Team is focused on engaging with developers across the developer ecosystem to enable and inspire early adoption of MS technologies that showcase developers creating innovative solutions around the world using Microsoft technologies. Microsoft is committed to supporting startups and student developers around the world as they build innovative, inspiring new products and businesses now and in the future.
In this role, you will lead our marketing planning and execution for emerging audiences – startups and students. You will be held accountable for strategy and execution of envisioning new opportunities through which to drive early adoption in startups. Student developer evangelism has significant opportunities to influence how future developers will interact with our own emerging technologies through engaging their influencers including professors and school authorities. You will also lead events such as Imagine Cup for students and Innovation Award for startups, as well as collaborate with third-party event opportunities. We are looking for a highly-motivated talent with strong leadership skills to lead the strategy for both audience who have high adoptability of new technologies.
Role & Responsibilities:
Startup & Student Marketing Group Lead is focused on conversion in the marketplace through direct engagement (online and offline) with the audiences we address our technologies to. It uses depth and breadth engagement including 1:1 dialogue, ecosystem creation, deep influencer engagement through a variety of mediums, including online community forums and speaking at 1st and 3rd party events, to convince and convert audiences to the MSFT platform.
• Simplify a complex landscape, and create marketing strategy through analyzing market and knowing customers, and define and drive startup and student evangelism business
• Implement the approach, processes and business insights to manage the startup evangelism business on an on-going basis, considering resources needed to implement multiple tactics, collaborating with technical evangelists.
• Build relationship between Microsoft Imagine and students and faculties vis a vis evangelism outreach
• Drive the most impactful academic stories to light up, related to students and higher-education ecosystems partnering with internal stakeholders working for students/schools/faculties
The ideal candidate has an ability to influence for impact. We are looking for a proactive driver with a collaborative outcome-driven candidate who will be forward thinking and have the analytical ability to articulate a strategic vision and then deliver for it. The success candidate is a highly-motivated self-starter with a strong business acumen, who can collaborate and partner effectively across functions.
• Ability to deeply assess the competition and drive perception-shifting efforts that differentiate Microsoft in credible, compelling ways
• Creative problem solving skills to prioritize, focus the team and drive initiatives forward.
• Ability to build networks with multiple stakeholders through high communication skill
• Ability to build plans with measurable impact skills
• Strong program management and project management experiences especially in a fast-moving, changing environment of emerging technology.
Preferred Skills and Experiences:
• Successful track record in the technical marketing and persuasive communications discipline. AEM role needs to evolve with a higher technical aptitude, which is integral to the success of the position.
• Familiarity with startup ecosystem including incubators, accelerators, venture funding cycle, etc.
• Understanding of university faculty and student developer audiences
• An understanding of the Developer audience – you have strong intuitions about what resonates with them that is shaped by your experience working on programs to drive Developer adoption of technologies.
• A solid grasp of the software industry and a strong understanding of Microsoft’s position in the technology landscape vis a vis key competitors. Experience in technical audience and/or cloud services businesses is a plus.
• A business and/or technical degree is required. MBA preferred.
• Business level English and Native level Japanese.
Work location - Tokyo, Shinagawa
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected status.